Thursday, June 14, 2012

Curriculum Resources for you!

I don't know about you, but I have issues choosing my curriculum for the following year. I know I need the basics but I also tend to think, maybe we can ad something or change something? Where can I find resources that are GOOD? Can I get those books cheaper somewhere else? The list of questions can go on and on.  This year, I was shown some FANTASTIC resources that I thought I'd pass along. If you have any others please leave their links or info in the comment box after this post.

Resource 1:


Complete Curriculum. This is a nifty site that has downloadable ebooks for grades k-12 in the four main subjects - Language Arts, Math, Science, and Social Studies.  For a $74.95 (now $4.95) yearly membership fee, you have access to up to ten digital texts to use. While each text may be assigned to only one student at a time, you might have two or more students using the ten texts!
Course content is aligned with the national standards. The outlook is secular throughout all courses. While student learn vocabulary, concepts, and skills, courses stress critical thinking rather than rote learning.
Each course has 180 lessons for the school year, but many lessons I looked at would not take that much time.  For each lesson, the teacher’s manual lists:
  • The lesson objective
  • Key vocabulary words
  • Materials needed
  • Literary selections if applicable
  • An opening question that the teacher uses to begin the lesson
  • Supplemental engagement activities  and/or extension activities that appear for some lessons
  • Technology resources—websites that contribute to the lesson, etc
  • Additional Notes to the Teacher—outline or summarize the lesson
Did you see the large text above? The price is ONLY $4.95 until June 30th. GET IT, if only for use as a resource. 

For a complete review take a look at the Cathy Duffy reviews.

Resource #2

The Simple Homeschool or Simple Schooling Classroom(the sister site) These sites are chalk full of unit studies, thematic units, etc. These sites are geared mainly towards science and history for grades k - 12. Some of the unit studies cost as little as FREE, while a year's membership to the whole site is only $72.25 per year for all grade levels.  If however you want to only buy a certain unit, it might only cost you .99 cents. YUP, .99 cents!!!  There are nature studies, units on the solar system, literature studies, etc....Check it out and let us know what you think of it.  

Resource #3

Currclick. This site is pretty cool. It is a one-stop shop for homeschool downloads, ebooks, lapbooks, live online classes for homeschoolers, unit studies, affordable curriculum, novel studies. Whereas I have not used it yet, it looks like there is a wealth of info on it and it looks EXTREMELY useful.  There are classes from art, to lapbooks, classes for children with special needs, live classes, etc. It is like a clearing house for all things homeschool related.  At the moment, they even have a special for the Olympics where students learn about each country by viewing documents on the net, and then there are activities that each student has to complete.  It is like a webquest.  Currclick is a site that I can see getting more 
and more traffic as more people homeschool.  Again, if you have used this site please tell us about it :)

Resource #4

This is an ap that I found that will keep your younger child entertained for at least 12.8 minutes!  HAHA! That would be nice, huh?  This ap, published by MeMeTales is a book library, that right now gives you 20 audio books for free that you can read to your nonreader or allow them to listen to the book on their own while you do something else.  Right now MemeTales is available for iPad, iPhones, Androids, and Kindle Fires. I did find that while my 9 yr old was fascinated by the audio portions - because really, who don't like a book being read to you, she could also read along if she wanted too. My 3 yr old likes the books too(MIRACLE!). I think this ap is better for a younger non reader, but like I said my 9 yr old is eating it up. For each book that they complete, your child gets a "sticker" that you can cut out and stick on their book certificate.  Once they fill up their sheet, they will have read at least 10 books.  This program is a great way to get kids reading over the summer and KEEP them reading.  

That's all the Resources I have for now folks!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alexandra,
    I just happened upon your post and will certainly look into some of the resources you mentioned. Thanks! Any more recent activity going on with your group? I'm in STT, and our group meets at the beach on Thursdays (and do races, nature walks, kickball, crafts, etc), and does a tot lot thing on Wed. with an occasional science or art group activity on Wed. too. I didn't go today b/c I happened to be on STX. Do you know anything about turtle conservation, egg-laying, hatching, etc and kid-friendly related activities on St Croix? It would be worth a trip down there to do that with our kids, and I'm sure others here would like to, too. We communicate through a Yahoo group, but I like the way you're using a blog. Trying to set up a WIKI, too. I'm following you now, and here's my own blog if you want to follow me-- some of it's about homeschooling: http://boatkids.blogspot.com/
    Let's stay in touch!
    Teresa "Mumfy" Diehl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teresa,
      I have since moved from STX to the states and am no longer active in this group. Sadly, no one wanted to take it over, but I am leavig it up as there is - I feel - a wealth on info here for those who want to start their homeschool adventure in the islands.
      Good luck with your blog.
      Alexandra

      Delete